21 November 2011

Chain Reaction

Book Details

Author: Simone Elkeles
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 458 KB
Print Length: 319 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0802720870
Publisher: Walker Books (August 16, 2011)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English

Book Summary

Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill. 

Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her parents may be from Mexico, but as a doctor’s daughter, she has more in common with her north-side neighbors than the Latino Blood at her school. Then she meets Luis at Alex’s wedding, and suddenly, she’s tempted to break all her rules. 

Getting Nikki to take a chance on a southsider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world and permanently living on the edge? (taken from goodreads.com)

Book Review

Finally, I’m on my last book of the Perfect Chemistry series, Chain Reaction. It was almost just as fun and steamy as the first two installments. Luis, the youngest of the Fuentes brothers was so much fun and a little reckless. I like him because he’s the smartest among his brothers, academically that is. Only that, one of his decisions in the book proved the previous statement wrong.

 Nikki, on the other hand, is my least favorite among the three girls. Fine, she was hurt in the past and was left with a broken heart but I think it wasn’t fair to stereotype all men. Luis had done nothing wrong to her, yet, right? In the end, she was pretty okay. I think it was pretty cool that she’s willing to learn the Mexican culture that wasn’t introduced by her family to her. I adore her friends Derek and Kendall, they were the spice that Nikki needed in her life.

Another thing that I like in this book is that the two brothers, Alex and Carlos are part of it. I think Carlos stole a little bit of limelight from Luis when he made the proposal, he still brought fun with him. Mrs. Fuentes found herself a love interest, much to the horror of her kids. The chemistry teacher is pregnant, but still the same. I think apart from the three Fuentes boys and Kiara, she’s one character I will miss most.

The climax-slash-twist in Chain Reaction is a bomb. I never saw it coming. I feel sad for Luis because he found out from other people. I hate that he lied, make decisions and then decide to do something else. The epilogue is still stated somewhere in the far future, it makes me want to read another Fuentes’ story.

What I love about this series is the fact that Simone Elkeles did not only focus on some guys finding true love but also the importance of family and being part of one regardless of any circumstances. 

Favorite Quotes

“Love. Is it just a word that boys use to manipulate girls?” 

Reviewed by

No comments:

Post a Comment