29 January 2013

Book Review: Rule by Jay Crownover







Title: Rule (Rule #1)
Author: Jay Crownover








“It’s always been you even when I didn’t want it to be, even when it broke my heart over and over again. It’s just always been you.” 












Review:

What happens when the resident bad boy finally falls for the uber good girl?

True enough and opposites don’t just attract they freaking catch fire and burn the entire city down. 

And burn they did.

If you think this is one of those usual good girl falls in love with a bad boy - you'll be in for a big surprise. 

Jay Crownover, you wrote a book that made me:

some_text

never want to put it down


some_text

giddy


some_text

makes me want to cry

because with Rule, you'll...♥.♥.♥

some_text

carefully fall in love with him as you turn every page- and he was not really EASY to love

♥.♥.♥


Tattooed + Pierced + Mohawk = Rule 

He's bad and he knew it. After he finished his high school, he moved out of home and apprenticed in his friend's uncle tattoo parlor. As much as possible, he didn't want to go home during Sunday brunches not unless Shaw drags him out of his hole. Why does he have to go home - when every time he does, his mother would look at him and place the blame why his twin brother, Remy, died. 

And Shaw - he didn't know what to do with her. She was constant in their family gathering. An honorary sister since Remy brought her home years back. He never really paid attention to her until the night he saw her working at this bar. 

Of course I had eyes in my head so I knew logically she was a beautiful girl, but she always seemed so cold and so untouchable that I never really thought of her as attractive more like an impressive work of art that was meant for viewing in a museum rather than every day enjoyment.

She was his dead's twin brother's girl, she was off-limits. But on her birthday - something to do with the short skirts and some booze - something happened. Something he couldn't just throw away like what he was used to. His action surprised me when he actually came to Shaw and told her they will try and figure out what they have and if they could work it out. Wow. I didn't see it coming from him. I thought he'd bail out, he'd be afraid. But no, he went head on with it. Only problem is: this monogamy thing, it's new to him. He didn't know how to handle relationship first hand. 


Med Student + I-can't-say-no girl + blond + unattainable + good girl = Shaw 

Rule was a constant reminder that money didn’t get you everything you wanted and that no matter how perfect I tried to be, how hard I worked at being everything to everyone that it still wasn’t enough.

She has everything - money, looks, brains, a crazy ex boyfriend who can't seem to understand the word no. Everything but Rule. It was Remy who saved her from all those loneliness and became her real friend but it was Rule who stole her heart since she was 13. They all thought she was Remy's girlfriend, but no, he was just her best friend and she was tasked to keep a secret her friend couldn't divulge even for his twin. (Although I did see the secret coming). She has a crappy family who cared more about appearances than her - which cost her a lot of trouble more than she could ever imagine. How does a great girl like her deserve a family like that??

On her birthday, with all the courage she has (thanks to the booze), she finally, finally, finally had Rule. She didn't expect anything, much more for him to come to her and told her they were going to try going out and getting to know each other. And because she was in love, and she was waiting for this moment to happen her entire life - she said yes.

She went into it with her eyes wide open. She knew it wouldn't be easy because Rule was never easy. Shaw just never expected that there was just more surprises than what was she prepared for. 

Rule RULES! 


How do I end this?



some_text

I love Rule, the whole book, had it done in like eight hours. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know how this ends for the both of them. I love Rule, the character, because he tried. Out of character, he wanted to take the risk and be with Shaw. It wasn't an easy ride, especially with Gabe hovering over them, and all his other issues. And Shaw, her loyalty was just overwhelming, she was soooo good and her love for Rule - despite the fact that it was unrequited for a long time - that he didn't give a damn about her - was just there and it grew. She didn't give up on him like his family did. 

Can they have their happy ending when everyone else doesn't think they deserve each other?

Rule: its a perfect combination of all these elements: love, sacrifices, loyalty & family.

Review Grade:


Favorite Quotes:

  • “It’s always been you even when I didn’t want it to be, even when it broke my heart over and over again. It’s just always been you.” 
  • “I think it’s genetically impossible not to be kind of in love with him when you come equipped with a vagina. It’s just something about all that angsty, moody swagger he has that makes you want to cuddle him up and make him feel better.” 
  • “You have me Shaw, any way you need me, any way you want me, you have me.” 
  • “I don’t believe in skipping ahead Dale. I read the book all the way through.” 
  • “I don’t care what color your hair is, if you’re pale or tan, if you have makeup on or just woke up all I care about is that when I look at you, you always look back and see me.  You’re beautiful inside and out and if you wanted to tattoo all that pretty white skin from head to toe I would be honored to put it there for you but if not I’ll take you all smooth and milky white any chance I get.” 
  • “I’ve never trusted anyone all the time. It’s the people I care about the most that always seem to do the most damage.” 
  • “Tell me why when we do this it’s so much different than whenever I’ve done it before.” 
  • “You’ve never wanted to be easy to love Rule and you make damn sure that nobody can ever forget it.”
  • “I’ll always take care of you Rule, in fact I like doing it because it makes me happy and it feels good but I’m not ever going to let you use me to work out your demons like you did with all those girls that came before me so you better learn the difference.” 
  • “I think I wanted it too much and you didn't want it enough.” 
  • “This is what I have to offer you Shaw and just like you let me be your first, I'm letting you be mine.” 
  • “Here’s my heart Shaw. You have it in your hands and I promise you’re the first and last person to ever touch it. You need to be careful with it because it’s far more fragile than I ever thought and if you try and give it back I’m not taking it. I don’t know enough about love to know for sure that’s what this between us is, but I know that for me it’s you and only you from here on out and I can only promise to be careful and not push you away again. Life without you in it is doable, but if I have a choice I want to do it with you by my side and I’m telling you I’m not running away from the work it takes to make that happen. Shaw I’m not scared of us anymore.” 
Follow me :
Twitter : @nursechucha
or be my friend on GoodReads


No comments:

Post a Comment